I was stunned to read how many people are considering adding plants to their diet in 2019. It wasn’t too long ago when finding a vegan or vegetarian restaurant was like trying to play a game of Where’s Waldo-without the colourful and curious-looking character (unless we are talking about the stereotyped hipsters who seemed to be the only ones frequenting such joints).
When I first started adding plant food as a replacement to meat to my diet, I always felt I had to explain myself. I think the fright factor for me was that I wasn’t adopting a Vegan lifestyle, but also wasn’t full vegetarian. I felt trapped in a world I was just trying to learn and being pushed to identify as something.
This is where I began pushing back last year and just said “Um, I am just consuming a heck of a lot of plant food, ok?”
Plant-based eating is the hottest food trend for 2019.
If you have been wondering how to get started and really make some delicious meals that are pretty, fast and flavourful, you have come to the right place.
Starting in January, I will begin a Sunday meal prep blog and dish lots of easy to follow tips on how to add more plant to your weekly eating routine.
I have been having fun testing recipes, playing with flavours, and prepping lists to get you started.
Here is a pantry/shopping list to get started if you want to start making some really delicious plant recipes in 2019.
- Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Cashews (dried, unsalted)
- Tofu (firm or extra-firm)
- Beans-Chickpeas, lentils (dried or canned, of your choice)
- Wild, long grain rice
- Soba noodles
- Coconut oil
- Maple Syrup
- Seasoning (if you don’t have a stocked spice pantry already) like Thai, Indian and Harissa-type seasoning packs
- Staple vegetables to make a veg stock – carrots, celery, mixed mushrooms, onions, ginger and garlic…these are a MUST in your fridge at all times. Also a few heirloom or plum tomatoes should be kept at all times. (I will be blogging on how to make a few awesome basics like your own vegetable stock and seasoned Cheese sauce this week!)
These items are the bulk of what I will be focusing on for January, to get you started on fast, flavourful and pretty plant food.
Happy shopping and look forward to you joining me this Sunday!